Sprint legend Usain Bolt has tested positive for the deadly coronavirus after undergoing a COVID-19 test.
In a video posted on social media, the Jamaican said while lying in bed he had experienced no symptoms, but he urged friends he had been in contact with to take precautions.
“This weekend, like everybody else, I checked social media and saw social media say that I’m confirmed of COVID-19,” Bolt said.
“I did a test on Saturday to leave (Jamaica) because I have work,” he said. “I am trying to be responsible so I am going to stay in and be safe.
“Also, I am having no symptoms, I will quarantine myself and wait on the confirmation to see what is the protocol and to see how I go about quarantining myself from the Ministry of Health.
“Until then, I will call my friends and tell them once they came in contact with me to be safe, quarantine and take it easy.”
It was later revealed by Jamaica’s health ministry that the Olympic champion had tested positive for the virus.
Attention has now turned to the sprint king’s surprise 34th birthday on Friday — and whether appropriate social distancing was maintained.
Bolt celebrated his birthday with a surprise party at which Manchester City and England football star Raheem Sterling was in attendance.
Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey, cricket hero Chris Gayle and reggae singer Christopher Martin were also allegedly at the bash organised by Bolt’s girlfriend Kasi Bennett.
Local media did express concern over Bolt’s party amid reports over a lack of face masks and videos appear to suggest safety precautions were not followed.
The eight-time Olympic champion, who holds the world 100m and 200m records, last competed internationally at the 2017 World Championships in London.
He and partner Kasi Bennet welcomed the birth of a daughter in May.
— AFP, The Sun