Three dead in Nice, France mass stabbing as ‘simultaneous’ attacks reported elsewhere
Thursday - 29/10/2020 16:39
Three people have been “butchered” in a suspected terror attack in Nice, France, as ‘simultaneous’ attacks were reported elsewhere.
France is under siege as it was hit by two suspected terror attacks which left three dead – including a woman beheaded by a knifeman shouting “Allahu Akbar”.
Two separate assailants are understood to have launched attacks in Nice and Avignon in the south of the country just hours apart amid an ongoing row over controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.
A woman has reportedly been beheaded – one of three killed – in a bloody rampage which saw the knifeman storm the Basilica of Notre-Dame in Nice, according to media reports.
Police have identified the suspect in Nice as Brahim Aouissaoui, who was born in 1999.
French President Emmanuel Macron has visited the site of the attack.
Almost at the same time, a security guard at the French Consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, was also stabbed and left with minor injuries. A man there has been arrested, with state television saying the suspect was armed with has been described as a sharp tool.
And then in Avignon, 250km from Nice, a man shouting “Allahu Akbar” while brandishing a knife was shot dead, according to police. Nobody else has been reported injured.
France has raised its attack level to “urgent” and Prime Minister Jean Castex said the government’s response will be “relentless and immediate”.
Eric Ciotti, a Republican politician and member of the French National Assembly, tweeted: “Attack in Nice, attack in Avignon, attack on the French consulate in Saudi Arabia.
“It is not a coincidence, the Islamists want to annihilate us! We must destroy the Islamists!”
One of the female victims of the Nice attack was reportedly decapitated inside the church, according to French media, police sources and the city’s mayor who also confirmed the nature of the injuries.
The male victim who was stabbed to death is said to be the church’s 45-year-old sacristan, an officer charged with taking care of the church.
The third victim – a woman – reportedly managed to escape and took refuge in a nearby bar where she succumbed to her injuries, reports BFMTV. The National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutors Office confirmed it has launched an investigation.
Armed police then stormed Notre-Dame in Nice, shooting and wounding the suspected terrorist.
Nice mayor Christian Estrosi said: “The attacker kept shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ even after he had been shot and as he was given medical care.
“Enough is enough. The suspected knife attacker was shot by police while being detained, he is on his way to hospital, he is alive.
“I must say that Nice, like France, but perhaps more than other places in the country today, is paying too heavy a price by being once again the victim of islamofascism.”