Four-year-old has dozens of ‘writhing’ worms removed from intestines

Monday - 10/06/2019 19:25
Shocking find in boys stomach. PIcture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case ReportsSource:Supplied
Shocking find in boys stomach. PIcture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case ReportsSource:Supplied
Doctors were shocked when they cut open a young boy with severe tummy pains and found something “writhing” inside him. Warning: Graphic.

A four-year-old boy with a history of stomach pain, vomiting and abdominal distension eventually landed on the operating table where surgeons manually removed dozens of “writhing” worms that had been living in his intestines.

The boy, who was not named in the case report but was said to live in Cameroon, West Africa, had no history of deworming since birth, which is typically a common practice in that region, Fox News reports.

The youngster’s mum had taken him to hospital after three days of stomach pain, vomiting and severe constipation.

He had also experienced bloating for around six months, according to an article published in the Journal of Medical Case Reports. After being admitted, doctors carried out a number of tests and diagnosed the boy with ascariasis — a parasitic worm infection in the small intestine.
 

Doctors manually removed dozens of worms living in the stomach of a four-year-old. Picture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case Reports
Doctors manually removed dozens of worms living in the stomach of a four-year-old.
Picture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case ReportsSource:Supplied

 

“Ascariasis is the leading helminthic infection worldwide, with its peak prevalence noticed in children aged 2-10 years,” the authors wrote in the shocking article, which was published on May 24. “Although mainly asymptomatic, chronic and heavy infestation could lead to severe complications such as malnutrition, poor physical and cognitive development as well as intestinal obstruction.”

Upon examination, the boy’s doctors recognised a small bowel obstruction, which prompted them to make a 2cm cut. Surgeons then removed “bundles of ascaris lumbricoides worms” manually and “by milking through the stoma”.

The boy was given nutrients to rehydrate him and administered with paracetamol intravenously before doctors could operate.

Three days after being admitted, surgeons discovered his bowels were blocked by a “mass of writhing worms”.

An estimated 807 million to 1.2 billion people in the world are infected with ascaris lumbricoides — parasitic worms known as soil-transmitted helminths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The parasites live in the intestine, and eggs are passed in the faeces of infected people. If an infected person defecates outside, or if the faeces of an infected person are used in fertiliser, eggs are deposited on the soil. The eggs can then mature into a form of the parasite that is infective.

The shocking find was recorded recently in the Journal of Medical Case Reports. Picture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case Reports
The shocking find was recorded recently in the Journal of Medical Case Reports. Picture: Supplied/Journal of Medical Case ReportsSource:Supplied

 

Infection can occur when hands or fingers that have contaminated dirt on them are put in the mouth or by consuming vegetables or fruits that have not been carefully cooked, washed or peeled, according to the CDC. Heavy infections cause intestinal blockage and may impair growth in children. Other symptoms may present as a cough due to the migration of the worms through the body. It can be treated with medication, but in the boy’s case, surgeons decided to operate.

After the surgery, doctors dewormed the boy and his family members with an oral dose of mebendazole, and he was released after seven days. One week later, surgeons recorded his wounds had healed.

The authors noted that the boy’s case points to a larger public health issue in Cameroon, where deworming programs are affected by lack of funding and access in high-risk areas.
 

You just watched

5 tips to improve gastro health
Watch again
SHARE
Also in Health
UP NEXT
  • 10 Playing in 0 seconds Cancel

    Flu season 2019: Influenza outbreak sends people flooding to hospitals

    1:30

  • Should we have the right to die by voluntary euthanasia?

    1:17

  • Nutrition showdown: which fast food is the healthiest?

    0:56

  • Coping with grief

    1:17

  • Get the post-baby body you will love

    1:19

  • Fast Five with Darren McMullen

    3:38

  • How to talk about suicide

    1:12

  • Vaccination Update

    1:06

  • The deadly dangers of a packed lunch

    1:05

  • The odds of developing cancer in Australia

    1:43

  • Hotel Horrors - Dirtiest places in your room

    1:16

  • Major breakthrough in MMR vaccine research

    0:54

  • The 10-year-old girl who ‘died of excitement’

    1:22

  • Research claims bacteria may alter moods, emotions and serotonin levels

    1:25

  • Heart attack statistics Australia: Cardiac arrest signs and symptoms

    1:48

  • Breaking down the French Paradox

    1:39

  • IVF: What are your chances for success?

    1:14

  • AUSPOL: MP Barnaby Joyce Is Pretty Upset About Carp, Wants to Kill ...

    2:21

  • Miraculous mind-controlled arm an Aussie first

    0:37

  • AU QLD: Ventriloquist David Strassman and Ted E Bare Visit Sick Kid...

    0:33


Gastroenteritis (Gastro) is an infection of the bowel that is easily spread from person to pers...

This article originally appeared on Fox News and was reproduced with permission

Source:

 Keywords: Cameroon

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

Click on stars to rate this article

  Reader Comments

In Case You Missed it

Advertisement

You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second