‘House of Cards’ could come to an end after sixth season
Tuesday - 31/10/2017 09:41
AMID the allegations that Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted an underage teen, his hit show has been axed by Netflix.
NETFLIX series House of Cards has been cancelled hours after allegations against series star Kevin Spacey.
House of Cards is currently filming its sixth season and a Netflix spokeswoman confirmed to news.com.au that this would be its last season.
It comes after Netflix released a statement saying it was “deeply troubled” by the allegations against Spacey.
But it’s understood the decision to cancel the show was made months ago and was not in response to the claims.
It’s not uncommon for a TV show to end after six years, however, House of Cards is seen as tentpole show for Netflix, primarily because it was its first.
The show was showered with critical acclaim in its first few years, but the reaction to subsequent seasons has been more tepid.
House of Cards debuted in 2013 and was an immediate hit for the streaming network. It’s racked up 53 Emmy nominations in the five years since then, including several for Spacey as Best Actor in a Drama Series.
The thriller was based on a 1990s UK series and was Netflix’s first venture into original programming. The series was created by Beau Willimon and developed with David Fincher. Willimon left the series after season four.
Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making inappropriate “sexual advances” when Rapp was 14 years old and Spacey was in his mid-20s.
Rapp said in an interview with Buzzfeed that he was aware that Spacey was “trying to get with me sexually” in an incident in 1986.
Spacey released a statement apologising for his actions, which he claimed he doesn’t remember, and using the opportunity to confirm rumours he is gay.
He said: “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour and I am sorry for the feeling he describes having carried with him all these years.”
Spacey went on to write: “In my life, I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic relationships with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.”
The Oscar-winning actor has been widely criticised for his statement with his detractors accusing him of using revelations of his sexuality to deflect from Rapp’s allegations.
House of Cards creator Beau Willimon addressed the saga in a statement, saying, “During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behaviour on set or off”.
“That said, I take reports of such behaviour seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.”
Today, Netflix is known for hit shows such as Stranger Things, Narcos, 13 Reasons Why, Orange is the New Black, Fuller House and many more.
Netflix and producer Media Rights Capital on Monday released a statement on Spacey, saying, “Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Rapp said that in 1986, Spacey, a fellow Broadway actor at the time, invited Rapp to his apartment for a party. Later in the evening, Spacey allegedly “picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance,” according to the report.
Rapp recalled he pushed Spacey off of him, went to a bathroom and closed the door, thinking: “What is happening?” He told Spacey he had to go home, to which he allegedly asked if he was “sure” he wanted to do that.
Rapp, who came forward less than a month after accusations against mega-producer Harvey Weinstein led to his Hollywood downfall, said he decided to speak out “not to simply air a grievance … but to try to shine another light on the decades of behaviour that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent”.
Spacey tweeted that he does not remember the alleged encounter, saying it would have been over 30 years ago.