Join Now

Hero cop stopped terror suspect’s NYC killing spree

Wednesday - 01/11/2017 20:39
POLICE officer Ryan Nash was on a routine call when he came face-to-face with the suspected New York terrorist. Here’s what he did next.
NYPD police officer Ryan Nash. Picture: Facebook.Source:Supplied
NYPD police officer Ryan Nash. Picture: Facebook.Source:Supplied

NYPD police officer Ryan Nash was out on a routine call — to locate an emotionally disturbed person — when suddenly, he came face-to-face with a terrorist committing the worst massacre in New York City in years.

Nash, 28, who is stationed in the First Precinct, stopped the killing spree by shooting Sayfullo Saipov near Stuyvesant High School at Chamber and West streets on Tuesday, police sources said, reports the New York Post.

This undated photo provided by St. Charles County Department of Corrections via KMOV shows the Sayfullo Saipov. Picture: AP.
This undated photo provided by St. Charles County Department of Corrections via KMOV shows the Sayfullo Saipov. Picture: AP.Source:AP

Saipov shouted “Allahu akbar!” — Arabic for “God is great!” — after allegedly ramming a Home Depot rental pick-up truck into people along a bike path, killing eight. He then whipped out two weapons — which turned out to be a paintball gun and pellet gun — as he ran from his smashed truck.

Mr Nash gave chase, drew his weapon and opened fire, bringing down the 29-year-old suspect before he could do any more harm, law-enforcement sources said.

NYPD police officer Ryan Nash had been dispatched to a nearby shocol in the Lower West Side of Manhattan. Picture:
NYPD police officer Ryan Nash had been dispatched to a nearby shocol in the Lower West Side of Manhattan. Picture:Source:Supplied

Mr Nash, who lives in Medford, Long Island, was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was treated for ringing in his ears.

The fast-acting cop has been on the job for more than five years with more than 50 arrests to his credit, sources said.

“A uniformed police officer ... confronted the subject and shot him in the abdomen,” NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said.

Eight people were killed and 11 seriously injured in a Halloween afternoon attack that the mayor called “a particularly cowardly act of terror.”

An FBI officer walks outside of suspect Sayfullah Saipov's apartment, on November 1, 2017, in Paterson, New Jersey. Picture: AFP.
An FBI officer walks outside of suspect Sayfullah Saipov's apartment, on November 1, 2017, in Paterson, New Jersey. Picture: AFP.Source:AFP

TRUMP CALLS FOR “MERIT BASED IMMIGRATION”

President Donald Trump is calling for “Merit Based immigration” following the deadly truck attack in New York City. Mr Trump said on Twitter on Wednesday that the driver in Tuesday’s attack “came into our country through what is called the ‘Diversity Visa Lottery Program,’ a Chuck Schumer beauty.”

Officials said the attacker is an immigrant from Uzbekistan who came to the US legally in 2010. They haven’t said whether he came in through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, which covers immigrants from countries with low rates of immigration to the US

Mr Trump tweeted, “We are fighting hard for Merit Based immigration, no more Democrat Lottery Systems. We must get MUCH tougher (and smarter).”

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says investigators probing the deadly truck attack along a popular bike path near the World Trade Center have a note referencing the Islamic State.

Mr Cuomo stressed on Wednesday on CBS This Morning that the investigation is ongoing.

Law enforcers are working to determine what led the pickup truck driver to plow down people on the bike path on Tuesday afternoon. The driver is in critical condition after police shot him in the abdomen.

Mr Cuomo calls the driver a “depraved coward,” and says the attack “did not instill terror” among hardy New Yorkers.

Governor of New York State Andrew Cuomo. Picture: Getty.
Governor of New York State Andrew Cuomo. Picture: Getty.Source:Getty Images

US STOCK EXCHANGES OBSERVE MOMENT OF SILENCE

The Nasdaq, NYSE and other prominent exchanges in the US on Tuesday held a moment of silence for the victims of the NYC terror attacks.

Source: News Corp Australia Network:

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

Click on stars to rate this article

  Reader Comments

Newer articles

Older articles

Top
You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second