Donald Trump blasts ex-FBI director James Comey on Twitter as UK media report he has cancelled state visit
Sunday - 11/06/2017 15:29
AMERICAN President Donald Trump has called his ex-FBI director James Comey “very cowardly’ even as it emerged he reportedly bottled out of a UK state visit over fears of mass protests.
Mr Trump attacked Mr Comey in a Sunday morning tweet after the ex-FBI director gave evidence to the US Senate Intelligence Committee this week suggesting Mr Trump had tried to pressure him in to stopping an investigation in to his former National Security Adviser, Michael Flynn.
I believe the James Comey leaks will be far more prevalent than anyone ever thought possible. Totally illegal? Very 'cowardly!'
During his evidence Mr Comey admitted that he had been behind a leak to the New York Times of this conversation with Mr Trump.
In his tweet Mr Trump said: “I believe the James Comey leaks will be far more prevalent than anyone ever thought possible. Totally illegal? Very ‘cowardly!’”
Mr Trump had earlier said that Mr Comey’s evidence involved “false statements and lies” and claimed his appearance was a “total and complete vindication” even though Mr Comey told the committee Mr Trump demanded his loyalty several times and pushed him to end the ongoing probe in to Mr Flynn.
Meanwhile, it emerged on Sunday that Mr Trump has snubbed his state visit to the UK. Mr Trump was said to have told Prime Minister Theresa May he would not come to the UK if there are likely to be large scale protests against him.
The Guardianreports the pair spoke about the issue over the phone within the last few weeks, with Mr Trump saying he would not visit until the country welcomes him. A date was yet to be fixed for his visit.
However Mrs May’s office said on Sunday there has been no change of plan regarding the state visit.
“We aren’t going to comment on speculation about the contents of private phone conversations,” a spokeswoman for May’s office said. “The queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans.”
The White House also denied the Guardian report, with an administration official telling Reuters: “The subject never came up on the call.” No date has been set for the visit, which was agreed during May’s visit to Washington in January, but British media had reported it was planned for October.
The report of Mr Trump’s reticence comes after he caused mass upset in the aftermath of the London terror attack last Saturday, when he took to Twitter to criticise Mayor of London Sadiq Khan for pleading with his people to stay calm.
Mr Khan engaged in a bitter argument with the President, accusing him of taking his quotes out of context, and called on the PM to cancel his visit. His call was backed by a number of other high profile figures in Britain.
Mrs May invited Mr Trump and his wife to the UK on a state visit just seven days after he was elected last year.
She travelled to Washington to meet Mr Trump in what was reported as a sign that the UK-US relationship was stronger than ever.
But since then there have been a number of calls for the visit to be called off after Mr Trump introduced a series of controversial policy measures. The UK Government is yet to comment.