Images released by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission show14-year-olds Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen heading out to sea near Jupiter Inlet on June 24 of last year.
"I think that the video was released because the Florida Wildlife Commission has decided it no longer wants to investigate," Guy Rubin, an attorney for the Cohen family, told CBS News. "But the family thinks that the wrong decision. Why would you end an investigation when you find new evidence?"
That new evidence includes an iPhone and, according to Rubin, pictures that show the boat's battery and engine had been turned off.
The empty fishing boat was discovered by the crew of a Norwegian freighter last month, 100 miles off the coast of Bermuda.
In an emergency court hearing Friday, the two families agreed to turn the iPhone over to Apple to see if any data can be recovered.
Earlier this week, Austin's father William issued a statement on Facebook, which read in part, "To me, this phone represents a connection with my son."
Rubin said the phone could prove what happened to the boys.
"If it has information," Rubin said. "In this day and age, the phone has become the ubiquitous documentarian -- we're creating evidence as we live life."
The Cohen family is hoping that the FBI will investigate the boys' disappearance. The boat is expected to be returned to Florida sometime next month.