Weinstein disputes claim he thinks ‘Hollywood will forgive him ... look at Mel Gibson’
Monday - 30/04/2018 08:15
DISGRACED movie mogul Harvey Weinstein reckons he didn’t talk business or Hollywood during a chat with a British journalist while holed up in rehab.
HARVEY Weinstein says his priority is his family after TV personality Piers Morgan claimed the producer believes he will eventually be forgiven by Hollywood.
Disgraced mogul Weinstein, 66, has been accused by dozens of women of sexual misconduct, ranging from harassment to rape.
He has apologised for his past behaviour, but denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.
The producer is being investigated by police in London, New York and Los Angeles.
In a statement, Weinstein said: “I have immense respect for Piers Morgan and appreciate him.
“During our conversation, which was back in 2017, the only thought I conveyed was that my focus now and in the future is on my family.
“I did not talk about business or Hollywood. My priority is my family”.
Morgan, who hosts Good Morning Britain, is quoted by GQ magazine in its June issue as saying he had spoken to Weinstein in a clinic in Arizona, where the producer was seeking treatment.
“I’ve spoken to Harvey in the clinic in Arizona, for about an hour. He’s fighting,” Morgan said. “He’s a fascinating character. The apocalyptic symptom of the whole thing — the casting couch finally brought to judgment.
“I can’t express the same level of shock as some people in Hollywood. Listen, this has been the system since Hollywood existed.
“It’s been a moral cesspit since the Twenties, and the idea that Harvey Weinstein is the only villain? Do me a favour.
“Look at Mel Gibson: ultimately Harvey believes he will be forgiven.”
Gibson sparked controversy with an anti-Semitic rant following a drink-driving arrest in 2006 but has been welcomed back to Hollywood in recent years, with a best director nomination for his film Hacksaw Ridge in 2017.
Gibson also starred in a family comedy, Daddy’s Home 2, which was released in November.
Cosby’s conviction was seen as a bittersweet victory for advocates of women making similar charges against powerful men in Hollywood, the media and elsewhere, with advocates saying they hope it will lead to more such convictions amid the groundswell of allegations that have come forward since the Weinstein scandal broke late last year.
“I think now there is tremendous awareness of how these crimes have been covered up and papered over for years," US District Attorney Kevin Steele said after the jury convicted Cosby.
Actor Rose McGowan — one of the first to go public with accusations against Weinstein and whose career is now in tatters — tweeted: “His victims can now exhale. Thank you, judge and jury. Thank you society for waking up.”