Join Now

North Korean says it will launch ‘thousands-fold’ revenge against the US over UN sanctions

Monday - 07/08/2017 11:07
NORTH Korea says it will launch “thousands-fold” revenge against the United States over the adoption of tough U.N. sanctions imposed after its intercontinental ballistic launches.
SeongJoon Cho—Bloomberg/Getty Images
SeongJoon Cho—Bloomberg/Getty Images

The North’s statement issued today came two days after the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved new sanctions to punish the North including a ban on coal and other exports worth over $US1 billion (A$1.26 billion).

Pyongyang’s statement said the sanctions were caused by a “heinous U.S. plot to isolate and stifle” North Korea.

It says the U.N. sanctions will never force the country to negotiate over its nuclear program or to give up its nuclear drive.

RELATED: North Korea a ‘real danger’

The launch of a Hwasong-14 intercontinental ballistic missile at an undisclosed location in North Korea last month. Picture: KCNA/AP
The launch of a Hwasong-14 intercontinental ballistic missile at an undisclosed location in North Korea last month. Picture: KCNA/APSource:AP

It says it will take “action of justice” but didn’t elaborate.

The sanctions passed at the weekend were a “violent violation of our sovereignty”, Pyongyang said in a statement carried by its official Korean Central News Agency.

“We will not put our self-defensive nuclear deterrent on the negotiating table” while it faced threats from Washington, it said, “and will never take a single step back from strengthening our nuclear might”.

The United Nations Security Council at the weekend passed a new set of sanctions against Pyongyang over its weapons programs, including bans on the export of coal, iron and iron ore, lead and lead ore as well as fish and seafood from the impoverished state.

The measures were approved unanimously — including by China, the North’s sole major ally and economic lifeline, and Russia.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has continued his missile program despite threats from US. Picture: AFP
North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has continued his missile program despite threats from US. Picture: AFPSource:AFP

Tension has been running high since the nuclear-armed North staged two successful ICBM tests last month, sparking global alarm over its rapidly-advancing weapons capability.

Pyongyang threatened to make the US — which drafted the latest sanctions package — “pay the price for its crime... thousands of times”.

China urges Nth Korea to end missile testing



“If the US... believes that it would remain safe because its mainland is an ocean away from us, nothing would be a bigger misjudgment than that,” it said.

Other nations that “collaborated with the US” to support the resolution would also be “held accountable”, it added.

Source: News Corp Australia Network:

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

Click on stars to rate this article

  Reader Comments

Newer articles

Older articles

Disclaimer

External links are provided for reference purposes. VidoStream News is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 2016 VidoStream News. 

Archives

T2
T3
T4
T5
T6
T7
CN
Top
You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second