An official with the national gendarme service said the driver was arrested soon after the incident Monday night in the town of Sept-Sorts, about 65 kilometres from Paris.
Judicial and security officials said that the driver appeared to have acted intentionally. However, according to a security official, there was no evidence that the incident was terror-related.
The officials were not authorized to be publicly named.
Pierre-Henry Brandet, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said on BFM television that the driver was born in 1985 and was believed to have tried to commit suicide last week.
Brandet confirmed that a young girl was killed in the crash and that four people were injured and in a condition of "absolute emergency".
He said eight others were slightly injured.
Read More (...)